Sunday, August 26, 2012

Bright blue in a red state

I have always avoided the political in my column. I have strong opinions, as anyone who knows me is well aware, but I decided a long time ago that my innocuous little column in the Life section of the Chattanooga Times Free Press was probably not the place for them.

Until today.

Y'all, I've had it. I've had it with trying to be reasonable and respectful and conciliatory in the face of histrionic, ignorant, superstitious bigotry. And I've had it with trying to teach my children to stand up for what's right and then assiduously avoiding these topics in my column.

So, for the first time in 10 years, I'm writing about my political and social views. I'm not sure what took me so long. But I know that if I'm going to help my kids stand up for what they believe, I have to offer them an example of exactly what that looks like.

Read it here.


Scary, scary liberals.









No comments:

Post a Comment